There are two available wireless (WiFi) networks at both Phoenix and Tucson campuses:
UAWiFi – for UA affiliates only -- requires setup
- Faster than UAPublic (1 mbps – 54 mbps)
- Secure, encrypted connections.
- Available to all UA affiliates with NetID and password
- Provides an “on campus” IP address..
- Set up your laptop
UAPublic - free and open to everyone, no setup necessary
- Not as fast as UAWiFi, (256kb limit)
- Not secure -- unencrypted
- Allows connection to the Internet without NetID and Password
- IP address shows as "on-campus" so authentication is not required to access most UA-licensed e-resources
- Connect to UA Public
Set up your laptop (required for UAWiFi)
Preceptors, Community Faculty & Visiting Scholars
- Access is available to everyone through the UAPublic wireless network.
- For UAWiFi, contact your department/college about getting a NetID and Password.
Banner-University Medical Center (Tucson, South & Clinics)
Banner employees with no UA affiliation are not eligible for a UA NetID -- use the UAPublic network.
Handhelds, PDAs and smartphones
Most smartphones and PDAs should have access to UAPublic. For access to the encrypted UAWiFi network, see "How to connect to UAWiFi" in the "Getting Started" section of the UITS Wireless Data Connectivity (UAWiFi) page.
Known Connectivity Problems
- Intel Proset wireless adapter and configuration program:
- It is advised that you uninstall the Intel program and use the Windows program (Windows Zero Config) to configure the wireless setting.
- Some Dell computers with Trumobile wireless adapters
- WPA2 and WEP settings are swapped. You will need to manually reset the connection. Once you connect o UAWiFi, your system will cache your credentials indefinitely. If you need to change the login, it is required that you remove and re-create the network definition completely.
Top of page