Raymond, R. O.

Master pnID: 
AMH-PN3019
History of Arizona medicine; collections of Orville Harry Brown, M.D. [AHSL Special Collections WZ 70 AA7 H673]: 
volume 5, page(s) 284,285; volume 10, page(s) 294-297
Degree|Title|Profession: 
MD
Residence(s): 
Williams
Residence(s): 
Flagstaff
Excerpt from 8/3/2008 Arizona Daily Star article “Flagstaff museum honors its past as hospital for poor”: "Dr. Raymond also had his own hospital in the basement of his office downtown, where the store Zani is now," Meehan said. Dr. R.O. Raymond, who came from St. Louis., had first practiced medicine in Williams before moving to Flagstaff in 1909. He donated land on which a new 25-bed hospital atop Knob Hill was built. Through the efforts of Dr. Charles Sechrist, the hospital opened Jan. 4, 1936, and would eventually expand into the present-day campus of Flagstaff Medical Center.

See History of Arizona medicine; collections of Orville Harry Brown, M.D. [AHSL Special Collections WZ 70 AA7 H673].
Quebbeman, Frances E. Medicine in territorial Arizona. Phoenix : Arizona Historical Foundation, 1966, page 365.

J Am Med Assoc, Feb 1906; XLVI: 447: List of new members of the American Medical Association for the month of January, 1906: ARIZONA. Raymond, R. O., Williams.
J Am Med Assoc, Jan 1915; LXIV: 354: Aid for Belgian Physicians. -- Dr. F. F. Simpson, treasurer of the committee of American physicians for the aid of the Belgian profession reports that in his stirring appeal for aid for the Belgian physicians, Professor Charles Jacobs of Brussels states that 1,000 doctors are poverty-stricken, and that 2,000 to 3,500 doctors are suffering cruelly through this war. ... The full list of names of all contributors up to and including Jan. 16, 1915, follows: ... Dr. R. O. Raymond, Flagstaff.Ariz. .... $10.00 ...
J Am Med Assoc, Feb 1925; 84: 601: GIFT FROM DR. R. O. RAYMOND. A donation of $1,140 was received from Dr. R. O. Raymond of Flagstaff, Ariz., and was accepted for the [American Medical] Association by the Board of Trustees. The gift was not accompanied with any suggestions as to how it should be used, except that Dr. Raymond expressed the opinion that it might be used to advantage in scientific research. The Board of Trustees made no immediate disposition of the fund but will seek to find a suitable use for this generous gift.
J Am Med Assoc, Apr 1927; 88: 1165-166: New Grants. ... Grant 101: Under the direction of R. W. Hegner, professor of protozoology, School of Hygiene and Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, for work on the clinical aspects of host-parasite relations, man and his associated animals with their protozoan parasites, $1,140.51, which sum constitutes the Charles A. Brant Fund, donated to the American Medical Association for medical research by Dr. R. O. Raymond of Flagstaff, Ariz.
J Am Med Assoc, May 1928; 90: 1465: REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE ON SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH FOR 1927. During the year twenty-three new grants (104 to 126) have been made, amounting to $13,655. In addition to the appropiration made by the Board of Trustees for the year 1927, there was placed at the disposal of the committee $1,200, donated by R. O. Raymond of Flagstaff, Ariz., to the American Medical Association for medical research.
J Am Med Assoc, Sep 1959; 171: 448: Raymond, R. O., Phoenix, Ariz.; Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, 1899; practiced in Flagstaff; died in St. Joseph's Hospital July 6, aged 82.
Last updated Jun 25, 2014 by memcinto